Clergy Sexual Abuse Lawyers Representing Victims Nationwide
Millions Recovered for Victims of Clergy Abuse
As religious leaders, clergy are trusted to provide spiritual and moral guidance. By using their positions of authority and their religion to commit sexual abuse and keep that abuse a secret, members of the clergy or priesthood commit the ultimate betrayal.
Many churches and religious institutions have come under scrutiny for widespread sexual abuse within their ranks, and those same institutions have faced criticism for their failures to adequately investigate allegations, report abuse, and keep vulnerable children and members safe.
Today, clergy from many religious institutions have been implicated in widespread child sexual abuse scandals, including:
- The Catholic Church
- Evangelical Christians
- Jehovah’s Witnesses
- Orthodox Judaism / Yeshivas
- The Church of Latter Day Saints / Mormons
- The Church of Scientology
The time has come for these organizations to be held accountable.
Trusted Advocates. Proven Results.
The Zalkin Law Firm has cultivated a record of success fighting for survivors abused by priests, pastors, and others within religious organizations across the country. Our attorneys have spear-headed high-stakes and high-profile clergy abuse cases, and have successfully taken on some of the most powerful religious institutions in the world.
This includes major litigation and multi-million global settlements against the Catholic Church:
- $660 million settlement. Irwin Zalkin was one of the lead trial lawyers prepared to litigate a 14-victim trial against the Catholic Archbishop of Los Angeles before a global settlement was reached.
- $198.5 million settlement. Irwin Zalkin was appointed Mediation Liaison Counsel and lead negotiator for over 144 victims of child sex abuse against the Roman Catholic Bishop of San Diego. The negotiations resulted in a nearly $200M settlement.
- $100 million settlement. Irwin Zalkin was part of the legal team representing sex abuse survivors in the Diocese of Orange, CA, and helped negotiate the first $100M global settlement in the nation over Catholic sex abuse.
- $4.2 million settlement for three adult survivors abused as minors by priests associated with a Northern California Diocese
- $2.75 million settlement for two survivors of clergy sexual abuse by a Roman Catholic priest in 1975.
In addition to complex and multi-victim claims, our clergy sexual abuse attorneys have also recovered millions in compensation for survivors in single-victim claims. Examples of our results include:
- $1.75 million settlement. Montana clergy abuse case which occurred over forty years ago
- $1.25 million settlement. 27-year-old abused as a minor by a youth pastor associated with an evangelical church in Northern California.
- $1 million settlement. California clergy abuse case against a religious school for sexual abuse that occurred over 20 years ago.
- $937,500 settlement. 27-year-old male survivor abused as a minor by a Catholic priest in Southern California.
- $750,000 settlement. California clergy abuse that occurred in the early 1990s.
- $675,000 settlement. California clergy abuse case against a religious order for abuse that occurred 30 years ago.
- $600,000 settlement. 45-year-old male survivor abused as a minor by a Catholic priest.
Can I File a Civil Sexual Abuse Claim?
Determining whether you have the right to take legal action over childhood sexual abuse will depend on the unique facts of your case. At The Zalkin Law Firm, our lawyers offer free and confidential case evaluations to help survivors evaluate their options.
We serve all survivors of sexual abuse and sexual assault, including:
- Child victims and their parents;
- Adult victims of abuse or assault; and
- Adult survivors who were sexually abused as minors.
With new legislation in many states, such as California AB 218 and the New York Child Victims Act, adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse are often given the opportunity to bring civil claims against at-fault parties years or decades after abuse occurred. This includes adult survivors whose claims were previously barred by statutes of limitations.
Our attorneys can help you better understand how eligibility and the statute of limitations works in these cases.
Accused Priest Directory
The Zalkin Law Firm maintains a directory of priests who have been credibly accused of child sexual abuse within the Catholic Church, particularly in California Dioceses. Our directory curates public information about accused priests and claims brought by victims in one place, and can help survivors who are considering stepping forward understand what has happened to others – and why making their voice heard is important to putting an end to abuse.
Visit our accused priest directory to learn more about accused priests.
Your Right to Compensation
As a clergy abuse survivor, you have the right to hold wrongdoers and responsible church leaders accountable for their misconduct, failures, and willful conceit. Stepping forward with a claim not only exposes unforgiveable practices, but also fosters needed change to prevent others from being victimized.
As a civil lawsuit (or tort), sexual abuse claims also provide survivors with the opportunity to recover financial compensation for the damages they incurred as a result of their abuse. This may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical and mental health treatment
- Future medical / mental health expenses
- Emotional and psychological anguish
- Other economic and non-economic damages
Call for a FREE Consultation
The Zalkin Law Firm is nationally recognized for fighting on behalf of survivors who were sexually abused by priests, pastors, and other religious leaders. Our clergy sexual abuse attorneys have recovered hundreds of millions in compensation for our clients in single-victim and multi-victim cases, and have the insight and resources to take on powerful adversaries that failed to protect children and victims.
We serve survivors across the U.S., and can help explore your options for pursuing the justice and compensation you deserve. Contact us for a FREE and confidential case evaluation.
Clergy Sexual Abuse - Multi-Victim $660,000,000
Irwin Zalkin was one of the lead trial lawyers and part of the trial team prepared to commence a 14 victim trial against the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Los Angeles, the day a global settlement was reached in the amount of $660,000,000.
Clergy Sexual Abuse - Multi-Victim $198,500,000
Irwin Zalkin was appointed Mediation Liaison Counsel and a lead negotiator by United States Magistrate Judge Leo S. Papas on behalf of over 144 victims of childhood sexual abuse against the Roman Catholic Bishop of San Diego.
Clergy Sexual Abuse - Multi-Victim $100,000,000
Irwin Zalkin was part of the team of lawyers representing clergy sexual abuse survivors in the Diocese of Orange, California who recently helped to negotiate the first $100,000,000 global settlement in the country involving childhood sexual abuse by members of the Catholic clergy.
Clergy Sexual Abuse - Multi-Victim $10,500,000
Multi-victim case against religious group home.
Clergy Sexual Abuse - Multi-Victim $8,000,000
Multi-victim case against a religious leader and institution.
Lohse v. Lakeland Village HOA (Oakland, CA) $8,000,000
An $8 Million judgment against a resort facility after a six-week jury trial for a woman who was rendered a paraplegic following a fall off of an unguarded pier.
Child Sexual Abuse - Single Victim $4,250,000
$4.25 Million paid to single sexual abuse Plaintiff.
Clergy Sexual Abuse - Multi-Victim $4,200,000
Three survivors abused as minors by priests associated with a Northern California Diocese.
Child Sexual Abuse - Single Victim $4,150,000
$4.15 Million paid to single sexual abuse Plaintiff.
Child Sexual Abuse - Single Victim $4,000,000
$4 Million paid to single sexual abuse Plaintiff.