Governor Andrew Cuomo recently acted to extend the deadline for filing new childhood sexual abuse claims under New York’s Child Victims Act. That legislation was enacted last year and it gave adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse, who were previously barred from filing a civil claim by the New York statute of limitations, the ability to file a civil claim until Aug. 14, 2020. Since the Coronavirus pandemic has led to a reduction in court service, thus limiting the ability for survivors’ attorneys to file and prepare cases, the Governor acted to extend the deadline.
“Because of the reduction in court services, we want to extend that window and we’ll extend it for an additional five months until Jan. 14,  because people need access to the courts to make their claim,” Cuomo said. “Justice too long delayed is justice denied, Martin Luther King Jr. said. So we will extend that window for people to bring their case.”
The Zalkin Law Firm is representing several victims in New York who are filing claims under the Child Victims Act. The firm is accepting inquiries from survivors who wan to explore their legal options under this law.
For a recent news article about Governor Cuomo's action, click HERE.